Drugs and Alcohol in the Workplace: Leveraging Employee Assistance Programs to Combat Substance Abuse and Limit Liability
Live Webinar: Tuesday, February 28, 2017
1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Eastern / 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Pacific
Drug and alcohol use can undoubtedly affect a person’s daily life and, subsequently, affect his or her work progress and employer. Whether the user is an employee or a family member of an employee, substance abuse can detrimentally affect workplace performance in a number of ways. Not only does the likeliness of injury or death rise with substance abuse, but drug and alcohol abuse inhibits productivity through tardiness, withdrawals, poor decision making, and decreased employee morale.
As an employer, the most effective way to combat employee substance abuse is to establish an employee assistance program (EAP). EAPs can help will all types of cases, and can confidentially provide counseling and referrals for employees affected by substance abuse problems. Employers with successful EAPs saw improvements in employee morale and productivity and a decrease in absenteeism, accidents, turnover and theft.
Join us on February 28 for an in-depth webinar on legal ways employers can combat substance abuse in the workplace and maintain a safe and healthful working environment.
- How to establish an effective EAP
- How to recognize signs of harmful alcohol or drug use that could have an adverse impact on safety and productivity
- How to approach an employee suspected of substance abuse, and how to effectively communicate your EAP to employees
- Your legal obligations as an employer when dealing with a substance abuser to ensure safety
- The legal restrictions of marijuana use
- What an effective drug-testing policy should say
- How and when to use last chance agreements
About Your Presenter:
Susan Fahey Desmond
Jackson Lewis PC
Susan Fahey Desmond is a principal with Jackson Lewis PC. She has been representing management in all areas of labor and employment law for over 30 years. A noted author and speaker, Ms. Desmond is listed in Best Lawyers in America and has been named by Chambers USA as one of America’s leading business lawyers.